Subject: Re: Request new category
To: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
From: Bang Jun-Young <junyoung@mogua.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/05/2002 13:27:18
On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 10:57:42PM +0100, Alistair Crooks wrote:
> I know there was a call for a chinese category some time ago, and
> the same answer was given - are there a substantial number of
> packages which would fall into the new category?

_Lots_ of people come to me and ask, "how can I use Korean on NetBSD?"
Then my answer is always same, "No, you can't for now." They simply
give up using NetBSD. :-( I know they often have difficulty in
reading English text.

Situation is much better in FreeBSD. FreeBSD ports provides dozens
of entries in korean category, and many people feel comfortable with
them. That's one of the reasons why FreeBSD is more popular than
NetBSD in Korea.

So I have wished we had a category for korean in the pkgsrc. If we
can grab more attention from non-English speaking users, why not?
For the same reason, I vote for chinese category (you have all the
right to decision as the core member and chief maintainer of pkgsrc ;-).

Jun-Young

--
Bang Jun-Young <junyoung@mogua.com>