Subject: Re: Case-insensitive filesystems
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Amitai Schlair <schmonz@schmonz.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/04/2002 22:48:05
On Monday, February 4, 2002, at 07:31  PM, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> From asking around, I confirmed that recent FAT file systems (ones that
> are more than 8.3) also are case insensitive but preserve case. So
> programs are in the same boat there too.

On Darwin, at least, one can work around the native filesystem not being
FFS without repartitioning. In the previous incarnation of this thread,
Keith Shaw mentioned that he's using pkgsrc on a mounted UFS disk image. I'
m playing with this, and found that it's possible to create and mount UFS
images from the command line. Which means that, if necessary, the Darwin
pkgsrc bootstrap could make one:

$ hdiutil create pkgsrc-disk -megabytes 512 -partitionType Apple_UFS
$ hdid -nomount pkgsrc-disk.dmg
/dev/disk1              Apple_partition_scheme
/dev/disk1s1            Apple_partition_map
/dev/disk1s2            Apple_UFS
$ newfs /dev/disk1s2
[...]
$ hdiutil eject disk1
$ hdid pkgsrc-disk.dmg
/dev/disk1              Apple_partition_scheme
/dev/disk1s1            Apple_partition_map
/dev/disk1s2            Apple_UFS                       /Volumes/untitled
# ln -s /Volumes/untitled/pkgsrc /usr/pkgsrc

Can other systems with this problem solve it this way?

- Amitai