Subject: Re: Request new category
To: Rui-Xiang Guo <rxg@ms25.url.com.tw>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/04/2002 22:57:42
On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 10:18:24PM +0800, Rui-Xiang Guo wrote:
> Hi, all
> I request a new category 'chinese', you can fetch the tarball on:
> 	http://residence.educities.edu.tw/rxghome/chinese.tar.gz
> It includes two basic packages for inputing chinese under X - libtabe and xcin
> Please see pkg/12171 and pkg/12767
> I know the project of our pkgsrc is trending to make everything i18n,
> but there are still many programs are language dependence, especially for
> CJK people.(like input method) :)
> Of course, I will add more packages in future. ;)
> So, can we have new category 'chinese'?
> If not, what place should they be put in?

In the past, we've created a new category when there's a need
(measured in number of packages in misc or other categories which
should really be in their own category). We've also tried to fold
i18n and other localisation and [a-z][0-9][0-9]n patches or separate
packages into one package - it simplifies maintenance (usually).
We have also tried to categorise packages based on their subject
or utility, rather than by the language they were coded in, their
toolkit, or the phase of the moon xor'ed with the committers shoe
size.

I know there was a call for a chinese category some time ago, and
the same answer was given - are there a substantial number of
packages which would fall into the new category?

Regards,
Alistair