Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/net/samba
To: Takahiro Kambe <taca@sky.yamashina.kyoto.jp>
From: Johnny Lam <jlam@jgrind.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/04/2002 11:56:48
On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 01:55:08AM +0900, Takahiro Kambe wrote:
> In message <20020204084354.A9951@jgrind.home>
> 	on Mon, 4 Feb 2002 08:43:54 -0800,
> 	Johnny Lam <jlam@jgrind.org> wrote:
> >
> > In the 2.2.1 release, the announcement said that the default lock directory
> > moved from /var/lock/samba to /var/cache/samba on RH and Solaris because
> > /var/lock/samba might be cleaned at boot time, which implies that the TDB
> Yeah, I misunderstand that those TDB files are generated by
> configurariton or purely running data.

I believe that the "lockdir" originally contained just oplock files
that could safely be removed across reboots.  But starting with the
2.2.x releases of Samba, more stuff is placed under the lockdir, to
the point where it's not really a "lockdir" anymore.

> > files should persist across reboots.  Do you have any other information
> > regarding this as to why this is so?  Searching on Google didn't yield any
> > other useful information.
> I can say at least, WINS data (wins.data) shouldn't be removed across
> reboot.  I've almost finish lockdir to /var/db/samba.

/var/db/samba sounds like a sane place to put it.  Do you want me to do
it?  I think we just need to change the SAMBA_LOCKDIR line in the samba
Makefile, bump the PKGREVISION, and emit a warning message if there are
any files found under /var/run/samba.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@jgrind.org>