Subject: Re: Updated Wine pkgsrc entry (finally) available
To: Johnny Lam <jlam@jgrind.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/01/2002 09:41:41
On Thu, 31 Jan 2002, Johnny Lam wrote:

: > >      3) In patch-aa, you explicitly add "-lc" to LIBS.  Why is this
: > > 	necessary?  I'd like to insert a comment to simplify future
: > > 	maintenance.
: >
: > This is a kind of dirty hack, too. And the same reason as above
: > ("not work without it").
:
: ISTR that I needed this in PostgreSQL as well, though I forget the
: technical reason why.

If there are dlopen()ed .so modules linked with "ld -Bshareable" rather than
"cc -shared", it makes sense.  ("cc -shared" still passes -lc to ld.)

For shared objects, "cc -shared" works on NetBSD 1.4+ and all ELF versions
of NetBSD.  However, only "ld -Bshareable" works correctly on a.out, NetBSD
1.3.x and earlier.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support -- http://www.wasabisystems.com/