Subject: Re: Simultaneous builds
To: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/16/2002 15:16:58
[ On Wednesday, January 16, 2002 at 13:34:20 (+0100), Alistair Crooks wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Simultaneous builds
>
> Sorry, Greg, I don't have time to discuss this side issue right
> now.  As I said, I'd be happy to see a well-discussed PR from you
> on the subject of OBJMACHINE and OBJHOSTNAME, but mere contradiction
> of anything I say isn't really the way to progress things.

I'm sorry you cannot seem to follow what I thought was very detailed
reasoning I gave for why OBJHOSTNAME (and OBJMACHINE) are totally
unnecessary.  I do not know how I might express it in any better way for
you to understand more easily.

I certainly will not be wasting my time on a formal PR until we can come
to a more common understanding of the issues and requirements here in
tech-pkg.

> Oh, and you are mistaken - _HOSTNAME is added to MAKEFLAGS, so that
> submakes don't re-evaluate it. You can verify this by looking at
> the output of PKG_DEBUG_LEVEL=2 during a normal make.

Ah, well that helps a bit at least -- meaning I won't have to rip it out
in my local copy to maintain current performance levels.  Thanks for the
clarification.

> My apologies to other people reading this list for wasting their
> time, I shall take my proposed changes to a more suitable forum.

"A more suitable form" than tech-pkg?  Hmmm.....

> On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 03:56:38PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
>
> > I ask anyone who disagrees
> > with me to do so by showing a concrete example where a common shared
> > setting of WRKOBJDIR is not more than sufficient to allow for shared use
> > of pkgsrc (either with my change above, or without also allowing for any
> > simultaneous builds in any way).

Hmmmm..... I saw no examples, concrete or otherwise, in your reply.
Does this mean you do agree with me?  :-)

--
								Greg A. Woods