Subject: Re: optional X11 dependency in packages?
To: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
From: Jim Wise <jwise@draga.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/09/2002 16:18:21

I have correct patches for gd and webalizer to have the type of optional
X11 dependency you describe (for the same reason).  I've been debating
whether it is better to have gd have an optional X11 dependency like
this (the only change in functionality is xpm output), or to have a
separate gd-nox11 package, ala ghostscript.

What do people think?

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Lubomir Sedlacik wrote:

>hi there,
>
>disclaimer: since search on mail-index is not working i haven't searched
>the whole archive of tech-pkg so if this topic was didcussed before i would
>be happy if someone points me to the appropriate thread.
>
>scenario 1: some time ago i wanted to install webalizer (www/webalizer),
>a log file (http, ftp, squid) analyzer which generates html and png
>statistics.  obviously it is dependent on gd (and that is dependent on
>lipbng, libjpeg, etc), which is dependent on X11--oops!  on X11?  why
>would i want to have X11 on my server??  so i needed to remove that
>dependency manually to get it working.
>
>scenario 2: mplayer has support for aalib, nice!  so finally i can watch
>some mpegs from my fast server on slow terminal in ascii :), well.
>theoretically.  aalib has support for X11 too and is thus dependent on
>X11, same with sdl, mplaer, etc.  this would take more work to get it
>working on X11-free box.
>
>and i am sure there are lots of similar scenarios over the pkgsrc.
>
>question: is it possible to decide in package whether machine has X11
>and take some action then?  something like:
>
>.ifdef (HAVE_X11)
>.include "../../mk/x11.buildlink.mk"
>.else
>CONFIGURE_ARGS=+	--without-x
>.endif
>
>if not (i don't see anything in mk/bsd.pkg.defaults.mk), shouldn't be a
>mechanism like this implemented in pkgsrc?  there are many packages
>which depend on X11 only because of legacy of other packages on which it
>is dependent too or can be used without X11 support with altered
>functionality.
>
>i would like to know your oppinions, ideas, etc. thanks,
>
>regards,

- --
				Jim Wise
				jwise@draga.com