Subject: Re: Eval: New package qt3-3.0.1
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@dingo.ping.net.au>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/09/2002 16:38:41
Frederick Bruckman wrote
> On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Berndt Josef Wulf wrote:
>
> > Ok, I've done a quick and dirty job of putting together a qt3 package
> > source that will install individual sub-packages and it's dependencies
> > whilst it still enables the installation of the complete package in cases
> > where it is desired to do so e.g. bulk-build - see `make help' for
> > the syntax. A complete install will consist of ALL sub-packages.
>
> I thought the rule was "one-directory per package"? Of course it's
> possible to build multiple packages in one directory. The end is the
> same if you create "Makefiles"s in separate directories that each
> include a "Makefile.common", as is done everywhere else in "pkgsrc"
> (that end being multiple packages), so what is the advantage of
> inventing a new style?

I needed qt3 now, the reason why I created my version of qt3 pkgsrc.
None is forced to use it... I have my preferences, others have theirs.
I prefer a monolithic package for reasons stated in my previous
emails.

> By the way, the one thing that bugs me the most about multiple
> packages from one monster distfile, is that usually the whole distfile
> gets extracted. For an "average" machine, that really raises the bar.
> I wish more of those breakout packages would set ${EXTRACT_ELEMENTS}
> to just get the parts they need.

You may find that for a lot packages it will be impracticable, if not
impossible.

What do you call an average system? Any system that has qt/kde
installed will need to be well equipped. Users would be well adviced
to download the binary distributions in those cases were system resources
are limited.

I've now removed the files from the server as I don't see any benefit
in further discussions this issue.

cheerio Berndt
--
Name    : Berndt Josef Wulf            | +++ With BSD on Packet Radio +++
E-Mail  : wulf@ping.net.au             |    tfkiss, tnt, dpbox, wampes