Subject: Re: Eval: New package qt3-3.0.1
To: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@dingo.ping.net.au>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/08/2002 23:24:17
On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Berndt Josef Wulf wrote:

> Ok, I've done a quick and dirty job of putting together a qt3 package
> source that will install individual sub-packages and it's dependencies
> whilst it still enables the installation of the complete package in cases
> where it is desired to do so e.g. bulk-build - see `make help' for
> the syntax. A complete install will consist of ALL sub-packages.

I thought the rule was "one-directory per package"? Of course it's
possible to build multiple packages in one directory. The end is the
same if you create "Makefiles"s in separate directories that each
include a "Makefile.common", as is done everywhere else in "pkgsrc"
(that end being multiple packages), so what is the advantage of
inventing a new style?

By the way, the one thing that bugs me the most about multiple
packages from one monster distfile, is that usually the whole distfile
gets extracted. For an "average" machine, that really raises the bar.
I wish more of those breakout packages would set ${EXTRACT_ELEMENTS}
to just get the parts they need.

Frederick