Subject: Re: Eval: New package qt3-3.0.1
To: Nick Hudson <skrll@netbsd.org>
From: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@dingo.ping.net.au>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/04/2002 09:23:11
Nick Hudson wrote

> > > The added benefit is that you don't have to have the documentation if
> you
> > > are a KDE user. Why make it bigger for no user (not programmer) benefit.
> >
> > This is a weak justification as there are dozents of other so called
> > 'user-base' libaries in our package system for which documentation
> > is always installed.
>
> I would consider the other pkgs broken - you also seem to conceed the fact
> a -libs pkgs broken, also.
>
> > Considering that a user has already downloaded the complete package,
> > it doesn't make sense not to install the documentation (except for
> > binary packages). I personally dislike the direction the development
> > of the NetBSD Packages Tree is taking.
>
> You seem to forget binary pkgs.

Did you read my last email? If so, you would have noticed that I
have given due consideration to binary packages in the paragraph above
your reply (see above).

Again, I strongly oppose subdividing software distributions into
teeny-wheeny packages for all but the good reasons. If this was
desired, the author of the software would have taken these steps, as
is the case for KDE.

qt{2,3} has the potential to be broken up into a dozen of sub-packs
and I'm sure that there is someone out there that has a personal
justification for each one of them.

I shall go back into my corner and try to think about an
implementation of Dave's proposal using the qt3 as a test case.
Like to help?

cheerio Berndt
--
Name    : Berndt Josef Wulf            | +++ With BSD on Packet Radio +++
E-Mail  : wulf@ping.net.au             |    tfkiss, tnt, dpbox, wampes