Subject: Re: Darwin support
To: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@netbsd.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/27/2001 10:53:51
On Wed, 26 Dec 2001, Johnny C. Lam wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 06:17:31PM -0800, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> >
> > The goal is to compile postgres. The current stumbling block is that the
> > libgetopt package manually calls ld, with the -shared parameter. Darwin's
> > ld doesn't like that. Suggestions?
>
> Could you please try compiling postgresql-{server,client} after removing
> the libgetopt/buildlink.mk lines from the package Makefiles?  PostgreSQL
> includes its own getopt code if it's not present in the system libc.  I
> added those lines way back in the early days of buildlink when I needed
> more buildlink.mk files for testing purposes, but they're not really
> needed by the PostgreSQL packages.
>
> Please let me know your results, and if you're successful, I'll make the
> changes permanent in the repository.

That did help, but I think I'm running into the fact that pg 7.1.3 doesn't
support Darwin. Subsequent compiles (in pg) failed as pg added features
present in system libraries; it hadn't noticed they were there in config.

I know 7.2 does/will, so I'll try a manual compile of that. I'm trying to
set some stuff up for a consulting gig, so I'll get something working for
now and work on full Darwin support later. :-|

Take care,

Bill