Subject: Proposal for sysutils/rc_subr [was Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/www]
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Johnny Lam <jlam@jgrind.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/26/2001 17:17:31
[Redirected to tech-pkg@netbsd.org]

On Thu, Dec 27, 2001 at 12:36:10AM +0000, David Brownlee wrote:
> 	Should we provide an rc.subr 'package' that can be pull in for
> 	packages on pre 1.5 boxes (and linux etc)?

I think it's a good idea.  I want to take the rc.subr from NetBSD-1.5.2 and
install it into ${PREFIX}/etc, then craft an INSTALL script to copy it into
/etc during post-install time.  I think we also want to set it as

NOT_FOR_PLATFORM=	NetBSD-1.[5-9]*-*
NOT_FOR_PLATFORM+=	NetBSD-1.[1-9][0-9]*-*
NOT_FOR_PLATFORM+=	NetBSD-[2-9].*-*

so that it only installs on pre-1.5 NetBSD systems and on non-NetBSD systems.
We can stick it either in pkgsrc/sysutils or in pkgsrc/pkgtools.

All that this does is allow pre-1.5 NetBSD systems and non-NetBSD systems to
run "/etc/rc.d/foo start|stop|status" from the command line.  It does _not_
allow those systems to use rc.d scripts during startup like NetBSD>=1.5 does.

The above is kind of a loose proposal, but how does it sound?

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@jgrind.org>