Subject: Re: updating emacs Q
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Masao Uebayashi <uebayasi@soum.co.jp>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/22/2001 01:34:57
I thought Pkgsrc is to be as simple as possible, keep one package
source (editors/emacs) par package (Emacs-*), to make package source
maintainance easier. But I'm moving to think that overwriting (very)
differenct version of package source may make maintainance harder in
terms of CVS.

Emacs 21 has been _not_ released very long term. It seems okay now
that we have only 21 just after 21 released, but what if 22 will be
released? The point is that Emacs package and packages depending on it
have to be all version-aware and be easy to be corrected to work with
the new version if released.

I also think multiple version packages whose compatibility are
critical to users should be maintained in the Pkgsrc tree. These hit
Emacs, gtk, Perl, Python, libpng, ...

It's better for us to keep in mind that NetBSD is often used on small
/ old machines. Better to be able to satisfy minimalists' demand, for
example, by spliting a package into binary and document and make them
optional.

> Yes, 21.x is larger, but not hugely so (not nearly an order of magnitude
> more).  If you're an emacs user the added stuff mostly comes in the form
> of integration of previously un-integrated packages that you might have
> wanted to install anyway.
>
> 	$ du -ks /usr/pkg/share/emacs/20.7
> 	35139   /usr/pkg/share/emacs/20.7
> 	$ du -ks /usr/local/share/emacs/21.1
> 	62801   /usr/local/share/emacs/21.1

Is this really small difference!?

(BTW, 21.1 is incredibly unstable on my box. :-|)

Regards,
Masao