Subject: Re: buildlink trouble
To: Amitai Schlair <schmonz@schmonz.com>
From: Johnny Lam <jlam@jgrind.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/08/2001 16:07:59
On Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 06:47:27PM -0500, Amitai Schlair wrote:

> If {HAS,GNU}_CONFIGURE is set, should bsd.pkg.mk provide CONFIGURE_ARGS+=
> --sysconfdir=${PKG_SYSCONFDIR}? This could make lots of packages (including
> this one) automatically respect PKG_SYSCONFDIR. Would this work, or am I
> misunderstanding something?

I've found a large percentage of programs don't use --sysconfdir to set
this directory, but have their own, often hard-coded, ways of setting this.
For this reason, I'm sweeping through pkgsrc to fix all packages manually.
Of course, the first thing I try is --sysconfdir=${PKG_SYSCONFDIR}, but it's
mostly hit-and-miss.

> A related question: what should I do about ${PKG_SYSCONFDIR}/cvsgraph.conf
> in PLIST? I looked at www/apache for guidance, and it looks like it just
> leaves such stuff out of PLIST. Is this the right thing to do?

I don't have a good example of what look at.  www/surfraw is a small package
that shows how it's basically done.  You install the config file sample in
${PREFIX}/share/examples/${PKGBASE}, then set CONF_FILES appropriately in
the package Makefile and include bsd.pkg.install.mk.

> > For some reason, I don't see -L/usr/pkg/share/x11-links/lib above.  This
> > is probably some problem in Makefile.in where LDFLAGS isn't being used
> > properly.  I see in the output you provided that LDFLAGS is correct during
> > the configure phase, but is wrong during the build phase.
>
> Just so! LDFLAGS wasn't mentioned in Makefile.in. Adding it to the linking
> step made the build succeed. Thanks!

Cool!  I look forward to your PR containing this package.  The idea seems
pretty useful.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@jgrind.org>