Subject: Re: packages and building on -release vs -current
To: James Chacon <jchacon@genuity.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/08/2001 08:03:23
On Sat, 8 Dec 2001, James Chacon wrote:

> For building bulk packages I was told the preference is that I build 1.5
> packages on a 1.5 system (obviously for consistancies sake).

Not so much for consistency -- there could be packages in the 1.5
directories built against 1.5_BETA, 1.5.1_ALPHA, and so on -- but
because binaries built against current might not even run on 1.5.x
(new syscalls in current).

> What do we do about packages that trip over bugs/issues in the release
> branch but are fixed in -current? For instance on macppc/powerpc print/cups
> will not compile due to assembler bugs in dealing with a shift right
> instruction. The -current toolchain has no issue.

Request a pull-up to the netbsd-1-5 branch, and build a package
against the netbsd-1-5 branch. If you're not running the branch, you
could identify the revision(s) to pull up, and ask for volunteers who
are to test it (ideally).

> I can probably patch around this by doing the shifts as 2 operations, but
> was wondering what the normal action is here? Does pkgsrc really only attempt
> to build/track against the release branch?

Of course pkgsrc has to build against current, if it's going to be any
good for the next release. We used to have directories "1.5A", "1.5B"
and so on, for packages built against current, but it was felt that
hardly anyone was using these (or could use them) so we've agreed not
to do that anymore.

Frederick