Subject: packages and building on -release vs -current
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: James Chacon <jchacon@genuity.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/08/2001 06:35:27
For building bulk packages I was told the preference is that I build 1.5
packages on a 1.5 system (obviously for consistancies sake).

What do we do about packages that trip over bugs/issues in the release
branch but are fixed in -current? For instance on macppc/powerpc print/cups
will not compile due to assembler bugs in dealing with a shift right
instruction. The -current toolchain has no issue.

I can probably patch around this by doing the shifts as 2 operations, but
was wondering what the normal action is here? Does pkgsrc really only attempt
to build/track against the release branch?

James