Subject: Re: X11 packages
To: Johnny Lam <jlam@jgrind.org>
From: David Burgess <burgess@neonramp.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/30/2001 09:28:51
Johnny,

Just a random thought - is there a way in the pkgsrc system to do
conditionals based on things that are installed (vice installing them
for every condition).

For example, in all that work you did with the php packages, would
it have been beneficial to simply run something like a 'best fit'
that would (as a pure example) install the php-mysql stuff if
mysql-client was installed, but not if it wasn't?

The hook back to the original post is that, if such as facility existed,
the X11 packages could install themselves with xpkgwedge if it was
installed (as it reasonably could be on a workstation in the wild) but
not on the machine where the pkg TAR files are built.

Like I said - just a random thought.  It's kind of a froody feature
that might come in handy for some of these weird inter-dependent
packages....

Dave

P.S.  I've recently built a NetBSD package that does a really good
job of building out the dependencies for an ISP accounting system
called 'Freeside'.  It does a really crappy job of actually
installing anything from the system, but it mows through those
interdependencies like corn through a goose.  Is it worth even
sending in?