Subject: Re: Please review: nbX => PKGREVISION
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/28/2001 21:09:52
On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

: > I think we should also set out (in Packages.txt) the occasions and
: > circumstances in which the revision number should be bumped.
:
: Yes. But what exactly is that policy? Anyone want to try putting it into
: words? :-)

Whenever a change is made to a package that alters functionality in a
non-cosmetic way.

This could entail API changes, integration of bugfix or functionality
patches from a third party or development branch of the same package, or
even changing the pathname of an executable.

This would exclude such things as fixing typos in manpages, making a package
build properly on a given architecture (where it would just bomb before --
although if the fix entails changing real code, it'd be a bump)....

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support -- http://www.wasabisystems.com/