Subject: Re: package commits
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/28/2001 10:53:12
[ On Wednesday, November 28, 2001 at 13:06:57 (+0100), Hubert Feyrer wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: package commits
>
> On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, David Brownlee wrote:
> > 		(eg: 'cvs ci doc/pkg-CHANGES pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkgchk')
> >
> > 	What would people think of making this the recommended method?
> >
> > 	Also - Greg Woods suggested including the category in the commit
> > 	message to help people reading it find the package. I like the
> > 	idea, but the above would probably render it unnecessary :)
>
>  * our commit_message_script_gizmo doesn't handle vommitting to
>    multiple repositories very well, and will create an empty subject: line
>  * Which list will a commit to both repositories go? doc commits go to
>    source-changes, and pkgsrc commits go to pkgsrc-changes by default.
>    What happens if you commit to both at once? So far we were happy
>    about two different commits/mails, as people not on pkgsrc-changes can
>    still see what's going on in pkgsrc via the pkg-CHANGES commits.
>  * doing two seperate commits will (usually...) put the category into
>    the subject line -> request solved.

I only read source-changes.  I don't see how the pkgsrc category name
can ever appear on its own in an independent commit of the pkg-CHANGES
file.

Note too that although all the mailers I've ever used almost always
normally show the subject line at the same time as they show at least
the beginning of the first "page" of the body of the message, that's
apparently not true for all mailers that everyone uses.  The canonical
example of /usr/bin/mail will only show the top 2 or maybe 3 lines of
the "Log Message" portion of a commit message on source changes (which
is usually more than enough in this case), at least on a 24-line
terminal and in the format it appears in today and given that you've got
it configured using the default /etc/mail.rc (my own config hides enough
additional headers such that I see 6 lines below "Log Messsage").

--
							Greg A. Woods