Subject: Re: Adding 'See Also' information to pkgs
To: Anthony Mallet <anthony.mallet@useless-ficus.net>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/28/2001 10:30:24
On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 01:45:27AM +0100, Anthony Mallet wrote:
> David Brownlee wrote :
> | 	How about 'subcategories' - it would still involve an additional
> | 	step to generate the 'SEE_ALSO' lists.
>
> I would be happy with that.
> But as every 'centralized' descriptions, people would have to be aware of
> existing 'sub-categories' to be able to choose one that would be adapted
> to their (new) package (and not create a new one).
>
> Don't know... I'm not a pkgsrc guru :)

The main problem with SEE_ALSO is that you are maintaining information
in one place that is different from the source of the information.
Keeping the two in sync would be a nightmare, and is not something
I'd like to consider.

One possible solution is to search for keywords in package's
description files - you can use pkglocate to do this. pkglocate
will do fuzzy matching (using agrep) if it's installed.

Regards,
Alistair

% ./pkglocate -v -i mp3
===> Using /usr/bin/grep to find matches
===> Searching category archivers
===> Searching category audio
audio/SDL-mixer/DESCR:Ogg Vorbis, and SMPEG MP3 libraries.
audio/abcde/DESCR:grabs tracks off a CD, encodes them to ogg or mp3 format, and tags them,
audio/bladeenc/DESCR:BladeEnc is a program to generate MP3 files from WAV or AIFF sound files.
audio/easytag/DESCR:the ID3 tags of your MP3 files, using a nice GTK+ interface.
audio/easytag/DESCR:  - Editing, writing all ID3 TAGs of MP3 files in the selected directory
audio/easytag/DESCR:  - Process all mp3 of the selected directory,
audio/easytag/DESCR:  - Display MP3 header informations
audio/easytag/DESCR:  - Rename mp3 file
audio/emixer/DESCR:play and mix two mp3 streams together. This ability
audio/emixer/DESCR:to mix two mp3s together makes eMixer act like a
audio/flac/DESCR:similar to MP3, but lossless. The FLAC project consists of:
audio/gmp3info/DESCR:MP3Info is a little utility used to read and modify the ID3 tags of
audio/gmp3info/DESCR:MP3 files. MP3Info can also display various techincal aspects of an
audio/gmp3info/DESCR:MP3 file including playing time, bit-rate, sampling frequency and
audio/gogo/DESCR:This is gogo, a very fast mp3 encoder based on the lame-encoder.
audio/icecast/DESCR:streaming mp3 files.  It was originally inspired by Nullsoft's
audio/icecast/DESCR:Shoutcast and also mp3serv by Scott Man ley.
audio/id3ed/DESCR:doing this, and most mp3 players can read the tag.  It will not cause
audio/krio/DESCR:utility, for managing the RIO PMP 300 mp3 player.
audio/lame/DESCR:LAME Ain't an Mp3 Encoder. LAME started life as a GPL'd patch against
audio/lame/DESCR:producing an mp3 stream or even being compiled by itself. But in May
audio/lame/DESCR:LAME is the source code for a fully GPL'd MP3 encoder, with speed and
audio/lame/DESCR:LAME is an educational tool to be used for learning about MP3
audio/lame/DESCR:MP3. Another goal of the LAME project is to use these improvements for
audio/liveice/DESCR:prerecorded mp3's.
audio/liveice/DESCR: 1. find $HOME/mp3 -type f >playlist
audio/mad/DESCR:audio layers (Layer I, Layer II, and Layer III aka MP3) are fully
audio/mp3_check/DESCR:mp3_check verifies the integrity of mp3 audio files and prints useful
audio/mp3_check/DESCR:statistics. This is handy for people who maintain libraries of mp3 files and
audio/mp3check/DESCR:Check mp3 files for consistency and print several errors and warnings. List
audio/mp3check/DESCR:mp3check is very useful for incomplete mp3 detection as it can be used to scan
audio/mp3check/DESCR:through your mp3 collection and find all mp3s that aren't perfect. Good for use
audio/mp3check/DESCR:with Napster and other bulk downloading of mp3s.
audio/mp3info/DESCR:A small utility to read and write TAG info, as well as retrieve the MP3
audio/mp3info/DESCR: - Get, Set and Wipe MP3 TAG Info.
audio/mp3to/DESCR:Converts an MP3 file to another audio format.  If <outfile> is - or
audio/musicbox/DESCR:Music Box is a GUI under X-window. It invokes mpg123 to play mp3 files.
audio/normalize/DESCR:and mp3 collections, where different recording levels on different
audio/p5-MP3-Tag/DESCR:tags of mp3-files. (Other tags hopefully to follow).
audio/p5-MP3-Tag/DESCR:man MP3::Tag
audio/p5-MP3-Tag/DESCR:man MP3::Tag::ID3v1
audio/p5-MP3-Tag/DESCR:man MP3::Tag::ID3v2
audio/p5-MP3-Tag/DESCR:man MP3::Tag::ID3v2-Data
audio/rio/DESCR:At present the Rio utility supports the Diamond Rio PMP300 with 32M
audio/rio500/DESCR:Utilties to upload files and manage folders for Diamond Rio 500 MP3 player.
===> Searching category benchmarks
===> Searching category biology
===> Searching category cad
===> Searching category chat
===> Searching category comms
===> Searching category converters
===> Searching category cross
===> Searching category databases
===> Searching category devel
===> Searching category editors
===> Searching category emulators
===> Searching category finance
===> Searching category fonts
===> Searching category games
===> Searching category graphics
graphics/win32-codecs/DESCR:    MPEG Layer-1,2,3 ( compression into MP3 is also supported )
===> Searching category ham
===> Searching category japanese
===> Searching category lang
===> Searching category mail
===> Searching category math
===> Searching category mbone
===> Searching category meta-pkgs
===> Searching category misc
===> Searching category net
net/gnapster/DESCR:  Gnapster is a simple client for the online mp3 community called
===> Searching category news
===> Searching category parallel
===> Searching category pkgtools
===> Searching category print
===> Searching category security
===> Searching category shells
===> Searching category sysutils
sysutils/xcdroast/DESCR:- MP3 encoding/decoding.
===> Searching category textproc
===> Searching category time
===> Searching category wm
===> Searching category www