Subject: Re: IMPORTANT user-visible change to pkgsrc related to config files
To: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/25/2001 20:52:47
On Sun, 25 Nov 2001, Sean Davis wrote:

> A thought I just had, though, is that it would be nice for another reason:
> currently, the package name seems to get made from PKGNAME, then appending
> PERL5_VERS to it, then appending PERL5_PKG_VERS: Wouldn't it be better to
> just set the name once and for all in the Makefile, and not having to
> include values of other variables to get it? :-)

Better for you! However, anyone who updated one of these "linked"
packages would have to just know which other packages to update, too,
and there'd also be more commits, more things to go wrong, and more
bandwidth wasted for "sup" and "cvs" users.

You might take a look at the "pkglint" package. It includes a perl
script, "lintpkgsrc", that does it's own makefile parsing, for speed.

Frederick