Subject: Re: ups-nut rc.d scripts
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/20/2001 23:32:41
On Wed, 21 Nov 2001, Luke Mewburn wrote:

: a) My local rc.d/samba script starts both smbd and nmbd at once,
:    because I see them as `tightly coupled'; you really don't run one
:    without the other, nor manipulate one without the other).

That's not entirely true.

I have nmbd running solely as a WINS server to satisfy one WinCE and one
Win98 machine on the Household Network, and smbd is not running on that
machine at all.  Likewise, nmbd is not necessary in order to use SMB to
export files; you can run smbd alone and make use of DNS for name resolution
on WinXX machines.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support -- http://www.wasabisystems.com/