Subject: Re: How to depend on an HTTP server?
To: Amitai Schlair <>
From: Greg A. Woods <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/20/2001 01:26:04
[ On Monday, November 19, 2001 at 23:29:10 (-0500), Amitai Schlair wrote: ]
> Subject: How to depend on an HTTP server?
> But this package shouldn't really depend on Apache; it just wants an HTTP
> server capable of executing CGI programs, and wants to know where to install
> the executable and images so that it runs and displays properly.

I would say that's something that belongs in the MESSAGE file that's
displayed after the installation of the package, not as any kind of
hard-coded run-time dependency for the package.

Should I not be able to de-install one HTTP serer and install another,
all while not touching your installed package?

After all it's not really a run-time dependency of your package, but
rather something more the opposite:  your package doesn't need a web
server to run, but rather it is run by a web server!  ;-)

							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <>     <>
Planix, Inc. <>;   Secrets of the Weird <>