Subject: Re: conversion of old packages to library only
To: Michael Richardson <>
From: Frederick Bruckman <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/12/2001 12:20:51
On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, Michael Richardson wrote:

>   I think that it was Todd, maybe someone else, who suggested
> an option to pkg_admin or something that would "delete" a package,
> leaving only its libraries behind (for old binaries), creating
> a new package which was just the libraries.

You mean <>?
As I wrote there, the solution requires more than just a single option
to "pkg_delete". ("pkg_admin" would not be involved at all, as it only
does operations on the whole database.)

>   Did this ever happen?

I'm still working on it, if I could only find a little more time. My
current plan is to write a little utility to manipulate the package
database directly, entry-by-entry (half way done with that), and then
to write the main program (which would wrap the package tools, or the
utility, as appropriate) in "awk".