Subject: Re: running (DE)INSTALL scripts vs. noexec mounted /var
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/12/2001 18:23:50
On Sat, Nov 10, 2001 at 02:08:14AM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Nov 2001, David Brownlee wrote:
> > 	I think we should really move PKGDBDIR under PREFIX - it should
> > 	never have been under /var/db in the first place.
> >
> > 	Maybe a new version of the pkgtools which would automatically
> > 	detect an old installation, copy the db across to a tmpdir under
> > 	PREFIX, then if all OK rename to the new location, and rename away
> > 	the old. Then we bump PKGTOOLS_REQD :)
>
> Yeah, right. And what solution do you propose for having multiple pkg DBs?
> /usr/pkg, /usr/X11R6, /usr/pkg/cross, etc.?
>
> Things like (the core of) pkg_info etc. need to be adjusted to
> "know" where to look for stuff.

	If everyone was in an xpkgwedge world (I know... "if"), that would
	be less of a problem.

	${PREFIX}/cross should be just a special case of ${PREFIX} and
	have the pkg DB in the same place. /usr/X11R6 is a PITA, and
	unless we force xpkgwedge (which I would like, but its maybe
	a little much) its probably best to keep its pkgdb in PREFIX.

--
		David/absolute		-- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --