Subject: Re: pkg_delete refuses to execute +DEINSTALL
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Johnny Lam <jlam@jgrind.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/09/2001 01:39:24
On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 10:11:35AM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 02:17:48AM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> > On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, Lubomir Sedlacik wrote:
> > > why not to run these scripts as arguments of shell instead of chmoding them
> > > executable and run directly? i don't see any difference between these actions
> > > (except that scripts could be written in various shells at this moment.. --
> > > all +DEINSTALL scripts are written in /bin/sh on my system, however)
> >
> > I guess the idea was to allow non-shellscript (DE)INSTALL scripts.
> > I don't think we use anything else than /bin/sh scripts in pkgsrc right
> > now, so we could actually change that.
> >
> > Or is there something I'm missing?
>
> No, it's possible that one day we have non-sh executables here.
> But still I'd like to see this somewhere else than in /var (and in fact the
> whole pkg database, for reasons that have already been exposed here :)

I agree here, having been bitten by the noexec-/var problem.  I usually
set PKG_DBDIR=${LOCALBASE}/.pkgdb on my machines.  An added bonus is that
on all of the machines that share /usr get the same view of the packages
installed on the systems from a pkg_info standpoint.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@jgrind.org>