Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/net/pxe/files
To: Eric Gillespie, Jr. <epg@pretzelnet.org>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/07/2001 09:54:31
On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 08:46:21PM -0500, Eric Gillespie, Jr. wrote:
> Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org> writes:
>
>     > was talking about - ssh.  It needs to be in /etc, really,
>     > for the base system. Having multiple copies of ssh host
>     > keys is not some place I want to go.
>
> The ssh pkg should put its conf files in ${PREFIX}/etc, same as
> any other pkg.  Its sshd_config, however, should have one major
> difference from the base ssh's /etc/sshd_config:
>
> HostKey /etc/ssh_host_key
> HostKey /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
> HostKey /etc/ssh_host_dsa_key
>
> Problem solved, and one less pkg polluting outside of ${PREFIX}.
> Seems like it should work.  What do you think?
>
> --
> Eric Gillespie, Jr. <*> epg@pretzelnet.org
>
> "This movie sure is gory!"
> "Yeah, but that's one cute pig."

When the (open)ssh package is installed, the host keys are generated
and placed in ${SSH_CONF_DIR}, which defaults to /etc.

A lot of work went into doing things this way, and it has worked well
since its inception. You are now suggesting that we force everything
into ${PREFIX}/etc. Why?

You are also suggesting that we have duplicate configuration files,
the location of which depends on whether the software was installed
as a package, or as part of the base system. I don't like playing
games with "guess which utility gets invoked depending on the
contents of your PATH", and really don't want to go there.

I don't see what good your proposed changes would do, and can only
see lurking problems from them.

Finally, be advised that you should use /etc/sshd.conf when making
changes to the sshd configuration in the base system.

Regards,
Alistair