Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/net/pxe/files
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/06/2001 19:34:27
On Tue, 6 Nov 2001, Robert Elz wrote:

> Personally, I prefer to have the administration type files (rc.d type
> stuff, etc) in $PREFIX/etc and the per host config files somewhere
> else entirely.
>
> Mixing the two together (as is done with /etc of course) is not a
> logical or consistent design.

This is true, come to think of it. /usr would be the obvious place to
put these, except that /usr is often not available at boot time.

Maybe we should create a /conf for the user-changed config files, and move
that kind of stuff there. We could symlink from /etc for compatability.
But this is getting into a different discussion....

>   | thereby making
>   | people's /etc and ${PREFIX}/etc directories possibly duplicatory.
>
> That shouldn't happen - having the stuff in one place is all that is
> needed, the only question is where.

If only it were that simple. We have to deal with issues like:

    1.	Nobody, it seems, wants ssh keys under ${PREFIX}.

    2.	It's a little..."unexpected" that packages that duplicate programs
	in the main system (sendmail, postfix, named) would have their
	config files move when you install the package (to fix a security
	hole for example), and move again when you upgrade to the next
	version of NetBSD and no longer need the package.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 3 5778 0123   http://www.netbsd.org