Subject: Re: problems building some of the xmms plugins....
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/03/2001 14:39:17
[ On Saturday, November 3, 2001 at 15:15:28 (+0700), Robert Elz wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: problems building some of the xmms plugins....
>
> Perhaps ..
>
> cc [opts deleted]  /opt -c vismsa.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/vismsa.o
> 		   ^^^^    ^^^^^^^^
>
> two source files (one of which almost certainly isn't intended to be there).

Oh, thank you!!!!  That's the clue I need!!!  I must have been getting
tunnel vision after too many hours at the screen....

(I have "OPT=/opt" in my environment because of some compatability glue
I use in my ~/.profile for Solaris....)

So far I've been able to spot it much easier and IIRC the error I
normally get is usually far more obvious in meaning.  So far I think the
only package that's given me problems has been in lang/python and
lang/pyton21 and I've simply inserted an override in their makefiles:

# Make sure having environment variable OPT doesn't affect the
# installed module-building Makefile
MAKE_ENV+=	'OPT=${CFLAGS}'
CONFIGURE_ENV+=	'OPT=${CFLAGS}'
SCRIPTS_ENV+=	'OPT=${CFLAGS}'

I see though that devel/cmdline and textproc/biblook also explicitly
override the setting of OPT in MAKE_ENV, and I don't remember doing that
myself....

Maybe I should nullify the OPT setting much earlier, say in
mk/bsd.pkg.mk, but then I'd worry about putting the wrong value and
causing other breakage....  This use of environment variables in the
build system really sucks, but I guess it's been with us now for so very
long that we'd be just as disruptive to try to remove it.

Or maybe I should rename my environment variable to "SYSTEM_OPT" or
something else like that....  You just never know when you're going to
collide with someone else's definitions....

As a side note I'm annoyed that the internal names don't have any really
useful correspondence to the package names, and worse I suppose is that
xmms-dspectralizer is registered in pkg_info as xmms-dspectral.

(Xmms-vismsa crashes when used with my NCD HMX [could not create
GDK_IMAGE_SHARED for rendering], but I like xmms-dspectogram best
anyway, though I'm going to have to move my Xterm to its own ethernet
switch port in order to be able to use it! ;-)

--
							Greg A. Woods