Subject: Re: pkglint change
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Thomas Klausner <wiz@danbala.ifoer.tuwien.ac.at>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/30/2001 22:37:27
Hi!

> I'd expect patches to be named anything but *.orig to be ok, at least this
> used to be the  case. I think accepting patch-* (excetp patch-*.orig) is
> ok, and this shouldn't be restricted further - think of when we decide to
> use pathnames for automatic patch generation, we can store the pathname
> then (with s,/,_,)

I made an effort some time ago to standardize patch names to
patch-[a-z][a-z], but left a few to be like they are now for various
reasons.

I don't think the character set for patches should be expanded
anymore, and definitely not with a '.' (dot), because then we'd have
no chance to find out if patch-afterrelease.gz is a patch or an
additional distfile.

It's not a 'further' restriction that jmc is talking about, but just
keeping tools and "code" in sync.

Bye,
 Thomas

--
Thomas Klausner - wiz@danbala.tuwien.ac.at
War is an instrument entirely inefficient toward redressing wrong; and