Subject: Re: Comments on pkgs (Taylor UUCP...)
To: Todd Gruhn <tgruhn2@mail.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/27/2001 15:58:40
[ On Saturday, October 27, 2001 at 21:17:47 (+0800), Todd Gruhn wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Comments on pkgs (Taylor UUCP...)
>
>   If tip is such a bad tool, why is NetBSD still screwing
> with it?

because it's there?  :-)

I don't know that it's been mucked with much except to fix the obvious
bugs and potential security problems....

> NetBSD's /etc/remote file is totally screwed.

Yup.

> I have since added fixes and examples to make it useable. Tips also
> has the rec= feature that allows me to log stuff and see what happens.
>
> UUCP allows me to connect to hardwire and use the
> AT commands, just as tip does. I can't recall
> UUCP logging stuff.

Why do you need special logging?  Just use 'script'!  :-)

Yes, I know that sometimes you don't know you want to log something
until after you're connected.  It would be quite trivial to add a new
tilde command to 'cu' to toggle session logging....

> The Taylor UUCP that comes with
> NetBSD is very lacking in config files, etc.

Yes, that's true -- I just copied the HDB-UUCP ones from my SunOS-4
system and have been carting them around with me ever since....

(I don't really like Taylor's own "unified" config file, but that's
probably just because I have far more experience with traditional and
HDB configurations....)

They've got stupid AT&T copyrights and proprietary nonsense notices, but
there's nothing really unique about them and certainly nothing much you
can do to write them in any different way, so it probably wouldn't hurt
to copy their essence (modernising them on the way through) into a
public distribution.

--
							Greg A. Woods