Subject: Re: Comments on pkgs (Taylor UUCP...)
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Todd Gruhn <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/27/2001 21:17:47
  If tip is such a bad tool, why is NetBSD still screwing
with it? NetBSD's /etc/remote file is totally screwed.
I have since added fixes and examples to make it useable. Tips also has the rec= feature that allows
me to log stuff and see what happens.

UUCP allows me to connect to hardwire and use the
AT commands, just as tip does. I can't recall
UUCP logging stuff. The Taylor UUCP that comes with
NetBSD is very lacking in config files, etc. Although
I do like the documentation. I have downloaded the
sources several years back to reset some options
and compile it MY WAY. I also stole the config files
and threw them in /etc/uucp. Lately the best use I
have found for cu is t see if the host is an NT
machine (Micru[munnnble] does not support, nor do
they ship UUCP -- which I still believe has its
uses...). Just remember, when you have success
hacking a UNIX util, better milk it for all its

If I sent you a stupid attachment please excuse me,
my hands are still dyslexic...