Subject: Re: Comments on pkgs (Taylor UUCP...)
To: Todd Gruhns Acct <tgruhn2@mail.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/27/2001 01:03:22
[ On Friday, October 26, 2001 at 23:11:50 (-0500), Todd Gruhns Acct wrote: ]
> Subject: Comments on pkgs (Taylor UUCP...)
>
> recently on Tip, remote needs to be updated badly. I also believe its
> a better way to debug a serial connection than cu.

With many years of deep and intimate experience with doing serial
communications on many unix and unix-like systems I can assure you that
tip is the worst possible tool ever to try to use to debug a serial
connection.  It's often impossible to discern a hardware problem from a
software or configuration problem when trying to use tip.

Cu is perfectly fine at this job, especially if you understand it's
general theory of operation, and if you have a general understanding of
how serial ports work on most unix systems. Cu's integration with UUCP's
configuration files makes it the only really useful tool for debugging
ports being used with UUCP.

C-Kermit is better for some folks and some purposes (eg. reliable manual
file transfers where UUCP isn't configured), though not without its
idiosyncracies.

Tip should die a quiet death and disappear A.S.A.P.  0.5 :-)

--
							Greg A. Woods