Subject: Re: Non-pkgsrc files under ${LOCALBASE}
To: None <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: None <sen_ml@eccosys.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/26/2001 20:47:56
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 13:42:38 +0200 (MEST)

> On Fri, 26 Oct 2001, Masao Uebayashi wrote:
> > Is it allowed by Pkgsrc that non-pkgsrc files are put under
> > ${LOCALBASE}?  For example, if I want to add a Emacs lisp package, can
> > I install it to ${LOCALBASE}/share/emacs/site-lisp or
> > ${LOCALBASE}/share/emacs/x.y/site-lisp?  Is there any better way?
>
> It should work, but of course you'll have the usual fun when deinstalling
> it or upgrading. Of course deinstalling emacs will complain about
> non-empty dirs too.
>
> An alternative I see is putting the files somewhere else, and tell emacs
> to look there. Dunno if that's possible, all my emacs extensions are in my
> (tiny) .emacs ;-)

What about the alternative of creating a NetBSD package out of the
Emacs lisp package ;-)

What I do for my own Emacs lisp files is to modify my load-path.  E.g.:

(setq load-path
      (append '(expand-file-name "~/lib/emacs")
              '(expand-file-name "~/etc/emacs")
              load-path))

I don't see why this couldn't be done for system-wide directories
outside of ${LOCALBASE}...