Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/net/mtr
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/26/2001 02:44:00
[ On Thursday, October 25, 2001 at 14:32:55 (-0700), Johnny Lam wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/net/mtr
>
> I think it's because installing automake requires installing a lot of
> cruft which isn't really required to build software.

I think you are missing a very large and very important point.  The GNU
Auto* tools are requird to build some specified software packages, and
indeed they in turn require other software in order to be used, thus
that other software MUST be installed.  You can like it or lump it, but
that's the way it is.

> I can't parse what you're saying.  We patch a lot of files.  Some of those
> changes are very difficult to do in the configure.in but very easy to do
> in the configure script, so we do it the way that is most appropriate.

Oh, the naivete...

(you'll never get such changes accepted by any package author)

--
							Greg A. Woods