Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/net/mtr
To: Johnny Lam <jlam@jgrind.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/25/2001 13:36:31
On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Johnny Lam wrote:

> We could patch configure and the Makefile.in files, but we'd still have
> the problem where, on machines that have automake installed, the configure-
> generated Makefiles detect that the configure script is too new, and will
> do the whole "aclocal; automake; autoconf; autoheader" sequence, which
> overwrites all of our changes.  We need something like:

Your solution is needlessly complicated. All you have to do is "touch"
the appropriate files in a pre-configure target, usually "configure",
if it wasn't patched, all "Makefile.in"'s, and some kind of stamp
file, like "stamp-h.in". You can usually see what to do by inspecting
the "Makefile.in"'s. ("configure" is hardly ever too new, by the way
-- it usually goes "aclocal; autoheader; automake; autoconf", so
"configure"  is the final target of all this.)

There are lot's of examples in "pkgsrc" of how to do this. See
"chat/xchat" e.g..

> This bit of code does the following:
>
> 	1) Forces the automake utilities not to be found during build.
> 	2) Replaces the config.status and missing scripts with ones that
> 	   do nothing.
>
> We'd need to wrap the whole thing in some sort of .if defined() ... .endif
> as there are packages that genuinely use automake (x11/lesstif is one).

Frederick