Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/net/mtr
To: Johnny Lam <>
From: Frederick Bruckman <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/25/2001 13:36:31
On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Johnny Lam wrote:

> We could patch configure and the files, but we'd still have
> the problem where, on machines that have automake installed, the configure-
> generated Makefiles detect that the configure script is too new, and will
> do the whole "aclocal; automake; autoconf; autoheader" sequence, which
> overwrites all of our changes.  We need something like:

Your solution is needlessly complicated. All you have to do is "touch"
the appropriate files in a pre-configure target, usually "configure",
if it wasn't patched, all ""'s, and some kind of stamp
file, like "". You can usually see what to do by inspecting
the ""'s. ("configure" is hardly ever too new, by the way
-- it usually goes "aclocal; autoheader; automake; autoconf", so
"configure"  is the final target of all this.)

There are lot's of examples in "pkgsrc" of how to do this. See
"chat/xchat" e.g..