Subject: Re: proposed changes in bsd.pkg.mk
To: Dwight Tuinstra <tuinstra@clarkson.edu>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/24/2001 12:15:44
On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, Dwight Tuinstra wrote:

: > > pkg/PLIST -> pkg-plist
: > > pkg/DESCR -> pkg-descr
: > > pkg/INSTALL -> pkg-install
: > > pkg/DEINSTALL -> pkg-deintall
: > > pkg/MESSAGE -> pkg-message
: >
: > I really don't see the need to rename any files. But what do I know?
:
: I applauded the FreeBSD changes in an email a moment ago, but
: yeah, I agree with you on the renaming.  It's a pain to
: type five characters before auto-completion kicks in.

I thought the renaming was actually aesthetically useful ... keeps the
Makefile at the front of the file list and puts all the package-bundle files
together as a group.

In any case, there's no need to type 5 characters to get command line
completion on those on a reasonable shell (mine is NetBSD's own
/bin/ksh).... p<completekey>d<completekey> gets you pkg-descr.  :>

And we now return you to your regularly scheduled "real work"....

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support -- http://www.wasabisystems.com/