Subject: Re: pkgsrc collection docs
To: None <supenguin@bigfoot.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/21/2001 07:01:06
On Sun, 21 Oct 2001, Kenny Drobnack wrote:
> Sorry if this is already up on the NetBSD site somewhere, but I couldn't
> find it. Feel free to tell me RTFM, as long as you tell me where the FM is
> ;-)  Anyway, I was just wondering if there is a pkgsrc maintainers guide
> of sorts somewhere. I would like to help make sure NetBSD has the most
> up-to-date versions of my favorite programs available.  I'd like to start
> out with something small, preferably something that didn't need to be
> patched to work with NetBSD.

you want to read pkgsrc/Packages.txt

> sylpheed.  Its definitely my favorite e-mail client, and there version in
> pkgsrc is about 15 versions behind the current, so I guess no one is
> maintaining in pkgsrc.  Is there some system that someone can be the
> maintainer of a new package in pkgsrc if it currently has no maintainer?

Send(-pr) patches (and find someone to commit them!). :)

> 	This is kind of along the same lines, but slightly different subject...
> I'm working on a project that requires a version of xerces-c 1.4 or later.
>  Previous versions crashed on one function (can't remember which) that I
> needed to use.  I would like to have this software work on something
> besides Linux (the only non-commercial Unix that recent versions of xerces
> seem to run on).  Would it be better to talk to the xerces-c authors about
> that, or whoever put xerces-c-1.3 into pkgsrc?

Communication with a pkg maintainer seems always to be a good idea!
Of course if you want to help him doing the upgrade by sending a patch,
that's probably well appreciated.

 - Hubert

* Basics -> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/05/24/ipv6_tutorial.html
* Setup  -> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/06/01/ipv6_tutorial.html