Subject: Re: ap-perl doesn't compile on Solaris
To: Bernd Ernesti <netbsd@arresum.inka.de>
From: Johnny Lam <jlam@jgrind.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/19/2001 18:39:38
On Sat, Oct 20, 2001 at 12:37:12AM +0200, Bernd Ernesti wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 19, 2001 at 07:00:21PM +0200, Bernd Ernesti wrote:
> > One thing, there is only a
> >
> > /opt/bsd/lib/perl5/5.6.1/sparc-solaris/CORE/libperl.a
> >
> > not a shared library.
>
> Ok, I think thats the real problem.

Yes, that's correct.  If there is no shared libperl.so built, then mod_perl
doesn't build.

> The perl Configure script doesn't find a working dlopen, because it doesn't
> check for a dlopen in libdl.
>
> Hmmm, adding 'dl' to the LIBSWANTED.SunOS produced a shared library.
>
> What is the downside when I add that?

I imagine that's what needs to be done.  You might want to check with
tron@netbsd.org, who added the LIBSWANTED.SunOS definition.

> And what about lang/perl5/patches/patch-ag which has a check for ($^O eq 'netbsd')
> so this would only works on NetBSD but and not on SunOS.

That's my patch.  I didn't want to break things on other platforms as I don't
recall this being needed on either Solaris or Linux.  The patch makes the
shared modules link against libperl.so, which I found was needed on NetBSD
to get mod_perl to work properly.  I didn't find any complaints on the
mailing lists from Solaris or Linux users, so I made the changes NetBSD-
specific.  If you find you also need it on Solaris, then we could easily
modify the patch.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@jgrind.org>