Subject: Re: Need feedback for PHP4 update to 4.0.6
To: Bernd Ernesti <netbsd@arresum.inka.de>
From: Markus Illenseer <markus@core.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/18/2001 18:08:33
> Thats NOT enough, at least devel/php4-session is missing, so a simple php
> script which uses session ids doesn't work anymore.

 Some other "packages" are missing as well. Like pcreg, calendar, ftp to
name some.

> It took my some time to figure out that I have to include this package
> and then change /usr/pkg/etc/php.ini.

 Took me some time, too. There is no documentation that, in order to
include support for the other packages, you need to install these
"sub-"packages.

 The php.ini-stuff is a caveat when upgrading to newer versions of php, as
the directory-name of the modules changes, but your (private copy) php.ini
still refers to the old extension path. Took me 2 days to figure this one
out, because the names of the extension directory was extremly similar.

> The current situation is not good.

 I second that. I vote to have a _complete_ php4-package and optionally
modularized one. Or one which contains a better configurable
Makefile.common. Maybe with interactive questions or some examples like
"GENERIC", "XML", "XML plus FTP plus SESSIONS".

Markus Illenseer