Subject: uucp pkg available for testing [was: Re: Proposal for new utility
To: Lucio De Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/17/2001 23:34:53
On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Lucio De Re wrote:
> * intentionally personal reply - feel free to publish *

OK! :)

> > Less bloat - UUCP for pkgsrc NOW!
>
> As a keen UUCP user, I couldn't agree more.
>
> In fact, there's good reason for moving as much of the base system
> into the pkg system (I would imagine we need a basepkg concept)
> because there's more flexibility then.
>
> I like /etc/uucp to a degree, and would like to find UUCP there
> after pkg-installing it, but it would be preferable if one could
> specify in a configuration file (mk.conf) where one installs such
> a tool.  Further, I'm sure I'm more likely to find example files
> in the pkg-ized UUCP than is presently the case.

OK, let's get to it. I'm really UUCP clueless, so I'd appreciate some
input. I've made a UUCP package and placed it at

	http://www.feyrer.de/Misc/taylor-uucp.work.tar.gz

The path is currently encoded as /etc/uucp, but it can easily be changed
with soem variable, see the pkg's Makefile.

Please test and let me know if this package works, or how it can be
improved!

One issue I know is not handled right now is that no user 'uucp' is
created if it doesn't exist. That should be fixed in a final version.

> The other question, of course, is why the package format isn't
> extended to the installation, if necessary enhanced to deal with
> the more raw circumstances.  Putting it another way, why does one
> not pkg-install the development system, games, etc, rather than
> extract them as we do presently.

Um, historic reasons - the pkg system is not as old as the rest of the
system, but the goal is to move to a pkg based base system eventually. I
hear there's some work on it's way, but that should not stop us now.

> If you need some manual labour to head in that direction, I'm
> willing to lend both hands.

See the above package! :-)
Send me back any changes, comments, etc. you have!

 - Hubert

* Basics -> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/05/24/ipv6_tutorial.html
* Setup  -> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/06/01/ipv6_tutorial.html
Of course with your #1 IPv6 ready operating system -> http://www.NetBSD.org/