Subject: Re: Default motif for pkgsrc
To: Bernd Ernesti <netbsd@arresum.inka.de>
From: Johnny Lam <jlam@jgrind.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/14/2001 08:30:11
On Sun, Oct 14, 2001 at 10:17:00AM +0200, Bernd Ernesti wrote:

> why is openmotif the default motif in pkgsrc?
>
> Size on an i386 1.5.2 system (thx to Tom Spindler for giving me the numbers):
>
> openmotif-2.1.30:
> Size of this package in bytes: 15348084
>
> lesstif-0.92.26:
> Size of this package in bytes: 5309719
>
> I was trying to install a package which needs a motif and was supprised
> that i wants openmotif now.

The default Motif used if no Motif-compatible package is installed is
OpenMotif.  If LessTif is pre-installed on your system, then the packages
that need Motif at compile-time will use LessTif.  The reason OpenMotif is
the default is that OpenMotif really is Motif in every sense of the word.
LessTif is still an on-going project that hasn't even reached a 1.0 release
yet, and is still striving toward feature-for-feature and bug-for-bug
compatibility with OpenMotif.

If you really want LessTif instead, you may either install lesstif before
building a package that needs Motif, or you may set MOTIF_TYPE=lesstif in
your /etc/mk.conf.  However, I found that every package ran better with
OpenMotif during my tests.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@jgrind.org>