Subject: Re: Extreme lethargy when dependencies are missing (part 2)
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Urban Boquist <urban@boquist.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/08/2001 00:02:31
>>>>> Hubert Feyrer writes:

Hubert> BTW, there's also (i think) the "clean" target that does some
Hubert> caching...

Yes, there is a similar hack in the clean-depends-list target. But as
I said, I don't think it is a particularly nice solution to go ahead
and add these kind of hacks to each target that uses dependencies.

There must be a nicer way to encapsulate the recursive dependency
stuff. Intuitively it seems to me that instead of doing it all
depth-first as we do now we should do it breadth-first instead, and
prune already-visited dependencies immediately. That would at least
eliminate the common problem that it is hard to have a "child make"
affect the environment of a parent make.

It should be mostly a SMOP... ;-)

Regards,

        -- Urban