Subject: Re: Config files and packages
To: David Brownlee <>
From: Hubert Feyrer <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/06/2001 01:36:28
On Fri, 5 Oct 2001, David Brownlee wrote:
> 	What do people think of PLISTs including something like :
> 	    @config <example_config> <live_config>
> 	eg:
> 	    @config share/examples/analog/analog.cfg etc/analog.cfg

1) Let's not use etc/default, as people may think that's defaults they
   can change. Let's stick to the "example thing, i.e. either
   share/examples/<pkg>  or etc/foo.example (which I'd prefer).

2) We already have something like this in some pkgs:

	   @exec if [ ! -f %D/etc/pinforc ]; then cp %D/share/examples/pinforc %D/etc/; fi

   If you want to replace this with

	   @config pinforc etc/pinforc

   That's fine with me, but only syntactical sugar. We could even do
   a simple substitute from without changing pkg_*.
   If so, I recomment we use @CONFIG to make a visual difference from
   @-macros built into the pkg_* tools vs. the one(s) in

3) What do you suggest for deinstallation? Unchanged config files should
   not be left back IMHO, so something like

	   @unexec if ! cmp -s <orig> <config>; then rm <config; fi

   might be in place. It can also simply be added from
   (check the place where we add @exec/@unexec commands for info files :)

 - Hubert

* Basics ->
* Setup  ->