Subject: Config files and packages
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: David Brownlee <abs@formula1.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/05/2001 13:21:05
	Has anyone looked at a standard way to handle config files for
	packages?

	We probably have 2 cases:

	    - Package has a default config which should be installed as
	      the config if one is not already present on the system.

	    - Package has one or more configs which should be installed
	      purely for reference.

	We currently usually install the latter into share/examples/pkgname/
	though the former varies more between packages, eg: analog is
	'etc/analog.cfg.default'.

	I think we should standardise on something - be it
	share/examples/pkgname/<cfgname> or etc/defaults/<cfgname>

	What do people think of PLISTs including something like :
	    @config <example_config> <live_config>
	eg:
	    @config share/examples/analog/analog.cfg etc/analog.cfg

	<example_config> would be assumed to be installed in the standard
	pkg fashion. On install, <example_config> would be copied to
	<live_config> if not already present. On deletion, <live_config>
	would be removed if it was identical to <example_config>.
--
		David/absolute		abs@formula1.com