Subject: Re: libvorbis using wrong library
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Johnny Lam <jlam@jgrind.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/04/2001 10:41:47
On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 10:08:43AM -0700, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, Johnny Lam wrote:
>
> > I browsed through the configure output and everything looks just fine.
> > According to what I see, the build should be using only what it finds in
> > /usr/pkgsrc/audio/libvorbis/.buildlink to compile and link.  Was the
> > problematic build you experienced earlier caused by unusual ld.so.conf,
> > LD_RUN_PATH, or LD_LIBRARY_PATH settings?  Also, what platform/version
>
> My /etc/ld.so.conf did have /usr/local/lib above (before) /usr/pkg/lib. I
> changed this and (after make clean) the error continued.
>
> > of NetBSD are you running?
>
> Sorry. NetBSD/i386 1.5.1_BETA

I believe you're mistaken about how ld.so.conf works on a NetBSD/ELF system.
You may want to read ld.so.conf(5) and also the "NetBSD ELF FAQ" at:

	http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/elf.html

In particular, you should probably just remove that file since it's not
useful in your environment, and causes the problems you note below.

> By moving the /usr/local/lib/libvorbis.so.0 file, I was successfully able
> to use the new /usr/pkg/bin/ogg123. And I was successfully able to use
> /usr/local/lib/ogg123 which uses /usr/local/lib/libvorbis.so (symlink to
> libvorbis.so.0.1) instead of /usr/local/lib/libvorbis.so.0.
>
> Another workaround (with /usr/local/lib/libvorbis.so.0 in place): So I
> change my /etc/ld.so.conf so /usr/pkg/lib is above /usr/local/lib and now
> it works. But my old /usr/local/bin/ogg123 doesn't work anymore due to
> using newer libraries.

This is one of the problems associated with misusing ld.so.conf on NetBSD/ELF
systems, and is covered in the NetBSD ELF FAQ.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@jgrind.org>