Subject: Re: libvorbis using wrong library
To: Nick Hudson <>
From: Johnny Lam <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/04/2001 00:35:33
On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 08:15:13AM +0100, Nick Hudson wrote:
> On Thursday 04 October 2001 7:38 am, Johnny Lam wrote:
> > I browsed through the configure output and everything looks just fine.
> > According to what I see, the build should be using only what it finds in
> > /usr/pkgsrc/audio/libvorbis/.buildlink to compile and link.  Was the
> > problematic build you experienced earlier caused by unusual,
> > LD_RUN_PATH, or LD_LIBRARY_PATH settings?  Also, what platform/version
> > of NetBSD are you running?
> I think this probably because of...
> $ grep local /usr/pkg/bin/libtool
> sys_lib_search_path_spec="/lib /usr/lib /usr/local/lib"
> sys_lib_search_path_spec="/lib /usr/lib /usr/local/lib"
> Could you hack libtool and remove the reference to /usr/local/lib and see if
> this helps

Eewww...can we modify our libtool package to not include /usr/local/lib as
part of the system library search path?  This will _definitely_ break
buildlink if libtool can find libtool archive files (*.la) in /usr/local.
The buildlink code works very hard to not use libtool archives at all.  We
can guarantee no .la files in /usr/lib, but people can and do install
anything in /usr/local, and we (in pkgsrc), can't cope with these differences
in what's considered part of the base system if we're to hope for consistent
packages built the same way every time.

	-- Johnny Lam <>