Subject: Re: libvorbis using wrong library
To: Nick Hudson <skrll@netbsd.org>
From: Johnny Lam <jlam@jgrind.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/04/2001 00:35:33
On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 08:15:13AM +0100, Nick Hudson wrote:
> On Thursday 04 October 2001 7:38 am, Johnny Lam wrote:
> > I browsed through the configure output and everything looks just fine.
> > According to what I see, the build should be using only what it finds in
> > /usr/pkgsrc/audio/libvorbis/.buildlink to compile and link.  Was the
> > problematic build you experienced earlier caused by unusual ld.so.conf,
> > LD_RUN_PATH, or LD_LIBRARY_PATH settings?  Also, what platform/version
> > of NetBSD are you running?
>
> I think this probably because of...
>
> $ grep local /usr/pkg/bin/libtool
> sys_lib_search_path_spec="/lib /usr/lib /usr/local/lib"
> sys_lib_search_path_spec="/lib /usr/lib /usr/local/lib"
>
> Could you hack libtool and remove the reference to /usr/local/lib and see if
> this helps

Eewww...can we modify our libtool package to not include /usr/local/lib as
part of the system library search path?  This will _definitely_ break
buildlink if libtool can find libtool archive files (*.la) in /usr/local.
The buildlink code works very hard to not use libtool archives at all.  We
can guarantee no .la files in /usr/lib, but people can and do install
anything in /usr/local, and we (in pkgsrc), can't cope with these differences
in what's considered part of the base system if we're to hope for consistent
packages built the same way every time.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@jgrind.org>