Subject: Re: Please review: perl patch to make mod_perl.so more painless
To: David Burgess <burgess@neonramp.com>
From: Johnny Lam <jlam@jgrind.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/03/2001 11:39:19
On Wed, Oct 03, 2001 at 01:09:28PM -0500, David Burgess wrote:

> I just finished installing Apache::ASP (so that I can get our ISP
> billing system running).  It relies on the SDBM_File extension for
> session object management.  The SDBM_File compilation is failing
> because of a missing PL_op symbol, which I assume is supposed to be
> coming from mod_perl (which we downgraded to get this far).  I tried
> going back to the previous version of the SDBM_File code, but that
> doesn't help.

PL_op is defined in libperl.so, which is linked into SDBM_File.so on
my system.  What does

    ldd /usr/pkg/lib/perl5/5.6.1/i386-netbsd/auto/SDBM_File/SDBM_file.so

return on your system?  Does it find "-lperl"?

> The problem, (which is why I think it's sort of the same) seems to have
> some relationship with an xpvav member in one of the files.  If that's
> the case, I may end up going all the way back to perl5.6.0 and the
> older code in several other areas.  The only reason this is problematic
> is because the CPAN installation of the support routines for the
> accounting package tries to upgrade everything when I start loading
> the new CPAN entries.

Downgrading to perl-5.6.0 shouldn't be necessary.  Apache::ASP was my
primary test package for checking whether my perl changes were working or
not, so I'm not sure what to say.  On my NetBSD-1.5Y/i386 + 20010827
snapshot system, when I did (and I did this a lot):

	pkg_delete -r perl
	cd /usr/pkgsrc/www/p5-Apache-ASP
	make install

it would recursive install all the dependencies and the Apache::ASP
module.  My httpd.conf has these lines in it:

	LoadModule perl_module lib/httpd/mod_perl.so
	AddModule mod_perl.c

	<IfModule mod_perl.c>
	    <Files ~ "\.pl$">
	        PerlHandler     Apache::Registry
	        PerlSendHeader  On
	        SetHandler      perl-script
	        Options         +ExecCGI
	    </Files>
	</IfModule>

and along with setting "AllowOverride All" in the proper directory, I
was able to run the example ASP site from the sources after just

	/usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/apache forcestart

I never saw the problem you reported, so I'm not sure what's wrong.

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@jgrind.org>