Subject: Re: restricted PATH during configuration and install?
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Tom Spindler <dogcow@redback.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/18/2001 18:49:06
> > In the course of installing some perl5 modules via pkgsrc, I've run into
> > the following problem: some packages still grovel your PATH in looking
> > for bits. (perl modules seem especially susceptible to this.)
> >
> > Would it be a sane thing for pkgsrc to set an explicit and non-inclusive
> > PATH at configure time - something along the lines of
> > PATH="$LOCALBASE/bin:$LOCALBASE/sbin:$X11BASE/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/sbin"
> > ?
>
> Sounds interresting.
>
> Out of curiosity, which package picked up what wrong binary?

databases/p5-MLDBM. I think this may be because there's no way to find
out (from within perl) what the full pathname to the executable is, and
scripts may just be called #!perl - but this is wild speculation.

I believe I've run into the same sort of problem at configure time with
`foo-config --libs` being installed in /usr/local/, too.
(foo == gtk, glib, et al.)