Subject: Re: packages for Crypt::OpenPGP and dependencies
To: None <sen_ml@eccosys.com>
From: Takahiro Kambe <taca@sky.yamashina.kyoto.jp>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/17/2001 11:20:56
In message <20010917.110219.74170303@message-id.org>
	on Mon, 17 Sep 2001 11:02:19 +0900 (JST),
	sen_ml@eccosys.com wrote:
> >     sen> p5-Convert-PEM
> >     sen> p5-Convert-ASCII-Armour
> >     sen> p5-Convert-ASN1
> >
> >   security/
> >   or
> >   converters/
> >
> >   ??
>
> I was torn between those two as well, but I opted for converters.  I
ASN.1 is "XDR in OSI world", roughly speaking.  So it could be used
for data encoding/deconding(/representation) in non-security area.
(And ASN.1 itself dosen't bind to any crypto algorism.)

Thus, p5-Convert-ASN1 should be in converters not security.  AFAIK,
ASCII-Armour is simple encoding/decoding scheme not encryption.

> can see a case for putting PEM and ASN1 in security, but I think
> ASCII-Armour works better in converters.
PEM could be in security since it contains crypto algorism.

Cheers.

--
Takahiro Kambe <taca@sky.yamashina.kyoto.jp>